rejetto forum

Feature req: Logout, Comments, Port#, Properties dialog

Corwin · 14 · 7362

Offline Corwin

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
A few items I'd like to see eventually incorporated into HFS:

The ability to logout, so that users can access their private directories and keep them private from roommates, as well as being to access private information from public terminals and friends computers.  It looks like as of alpha 20 closing the browser window logs you out, but it would be good to be able to do it explicitly.

The ability for users to add comments to the files they upload.

The option to remove the port number from the URL in the Copy URL function.  I use no-ip.com for domain redirection and port forwarding.  No-ip.com adds the port number, so if it is in the URL as well it generates an error.

A Properties dialog for file and folder settings so I don't have to open the menu a dozen times or more for each folder I share.

Offline Mr. Anon

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Thanks for the comments Corwin.
1. It is not possible for HFS to delete authentication used by your browser over HTTP because HFS uses basic auth and there isn't any commands implemented in the browser for HFS to delete the authentication data. To clear these data, you have to completely close your browser. (It depends on which browser you use though.) If HFS were to use cookies, then this would be possible but not right now. :S

2. Good Idea. Although I would like restrictions on it. Such as what kind of users could comment on files.

3. Doesn't No-IP.com uses DNS based forwardings?

4. Pretty Cool window you have there. :)

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
The ability to logout
this has already been discussed, you can search the forum.
until we use HTTP authentication, there's no other way to log you out but closing the browser.

The ability for users to add comments to the files they upload.
this is not easy, because upload works with real-folders, and real-folders has no comment, just because we don't have files, just the folder. anyway, leaving a message for an uploaded file may be very useful, so i will think for a solution in the future.

he option to remove the port number from the URL in the Copy URL function
ok

A Properties dialog for file and folder settings
ok

Offline Corwin

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies.

I'd guess then that HTTP Authentication is on the "to be considered" list, rather than the "to do" list.  That's fine.

I see your point about upload comments.    Comment requires a virtual folder, upload requires a real folder.   Combining them would be tricky.   Maybe you could have an option to associate a specific location with a virtual folder.

Mr Anon, no-ip does do DNS forwarding but they also do (optional) port redirect.  I use a nonstandard port to discourage run of the mill scanners.  Anything on port 80 gets stopped at my router.   If I let no-ip do the port redirect, then my legitimate visitors don't have to even know what a port is, much less remember to add it to the URL.

Offline Corwin

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
It could be a 302 redirection.   They offer the configuration with basic information about what the result is without going into detail about what mechanism they use.  They list it as a way to get around ISPs that block inbound port 80.    I don't know enough about the subject to tell you more than that.

Offline Corwin

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile

Offline Corwin

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
The one I posted is a no-ip URL.

It redirects to my AMD K6 machine running HFS alpha20 on a nonstandard port.

Right now, the area open to the public is very very very minimal.

Offline Mr. Anon

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:15:42 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) PHP/5.0.0
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.0.0
Connection: close
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: text/html

Your address resolves to 63.215.241.205 which is www.hopto.org.
Uses 302 redirection to 65.29.15.74 at port 21473.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile