rejetto forum

HFS 3: something about the new VFS

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Let me explain one the differences of the new VFS.
If you meant to remove some files from a folder with HFS 2, you had to use virtual folders.
Pros:
- easy to program for me :)
Cons:
- you are now out of sync with the disk (in case you add another file to the folder on disk)
- every stupid file stays in memory (even subfolders, possibly many files)
- every stupid file must be added, it takes time! try to add the Windows folder as virtual folder. It takes forever!

All this problems are over in HFS 3.
The new system is similar to a real folder, but it will memorize deleted files, so to know they must be skipped.

Of course on the front-end you will just see the result: the folder with all subfolders, but those deleted files don't exist.

At the moment i decided to show these deleted files in a pseudo-folder, in the back-end (administration). This way you can easily inspect and restore them.

I told you about deleting some files, but the same problem come if you want to rename a file in it, be it directly in the folder or buried in some subfolder.

You like it?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:54:19 PM by rejetto »

Offline raybob

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • FileSplat.com
That seems good but then rather than using the word 'delete' you should use 'hide' or something like that so people know it's not actually deleting anything from the disk.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
mmm.
It's that hide is something else.
You can have a hidden file, you don't see it but you can get it if you know it.

as *moved* files are not moved on disk, also *deleted* files are not deleted on disk, and *renamed* files are not renamed on disk.
People have to understand (don't know how) that operations are virtual, and thus related to the virtual file system. "Hidden" is not something that's gonna solve  this problem.