rejetto forum

Am I not understanding or is it not possible?

Offline tempgal

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I dragged the folder to be shared and designated it as a Real Folder, saved the configuration to Registry, and figured out how to start the server when Windows starts.  However, each time I restart, there is nothing to be shared unless I first re-drag the folder.     

I checked out the option to Save File System but that wants to create a new file to be saved on my hard drive. 

Can anyone tell me what I must do to make the program restart with the saved configuration?

Thanks much.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I checked out the option to Save File System

it's the right option

but that wants to create a new file to be saved on my hard drive. 

yes, it's a small price to pay

Offline KalleB

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
rejetto, I think there should be a warning when closing HFS (or loading another .vfs) that the current VFS is not saved yet. What I mean is something like:

The current virtual file system has not been saved yet.
Would you like to save it? (before quitting?)

Yes, No, Cancel

This would help newbies ALOT ...I remember myself wondering this same thing when I tried HFS for the first time: "How come this damn program always forgets what I put into it???" :D

...And for every user that I introduce this awesome program nowadays, I have to remind not to forget to save the vfs once. Auto-save on quit and timer are enabled in the default settings of my HFS installation package, but even those functions need one manual save before starting to work (!)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 05:25:51 PM by KalleB »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
hmm, yes, i fear you're right.
when i designed HFS, it was meant for an on-the-fly use.
So, not saving the VFS was the normal case for me.
But this may be a big bad usability problem.

Offline KalleB

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Indeed it is.. It seems that times have changed when it comes to how people use HFS. Everyone I know using HFS use it to replace windows file sharing in VPN and LAN networks since HFS is so fast and light way to browse and offers nice way to restrict bandwidth and access..not to forget the log to see who's downloaded what ;) For them (and me) HFS is always running in the background and starts automatically on system boot. Actually, now after the awesome folder.tar function, there's been pretty much no need for windows shares anymore (if only it could also do selective download... :D).

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
hmm, yes, i fear you're right.
when i designed HFS, it was meant for an on-the-fly use.
So, not saving the VFS was the normal case for me.
But this may be a big bad usability problem.

May also suggest that IF 'Auto-Save VFS on quit' is selected, this warning will not show, and also, a check box to disable the warning if you would only want HFS for on-the-fly file transfers.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 09:04:02 AM by That_Stevens_Guy »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
ok... from next build

and i changed another behaviour too
when a file is downloaded, and the counter is changed, it no longer displays "modified". for counter changes it will silently save the vfs.

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
ok... from next build

and i changed another behaviour too
when a file is downloaded, and the counter is changed, it no longer displays "modified". for counter changes it will silently save the vfs.
just one thought i had. its a good idea to silently save the vfs when the hits are updated but my question is when the vfs hasnt been saved before what happens? does a save dialog box appear or does nothing happen? I would think it best that nothing happens... Maybe you allready though of this but if you have you'll say ;)

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
if you did not saved before, then you have a VFS with modified things.
it's not the case where only counter changes.