rejetto forum

How many users?

rejetto · 20 · 6328

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I'm curious to know the number of people using HFS, so i created a system to estimate this number.
Before i started this method i always thought this number was 10'000-20'000, based on the number of downloads and number of registered people on the forum (you know, registration is not mandatory).

The method is the following: since HFS makes requests to www.rejetto.com for several things (find external address, checking for updates, self-test) I will count the number of different IP addresses connecting to these services in the last 30 days. This is of course innaccurate, but i see no better method at the moment and i think it will be good enough to give an idea of the real number. I think the error factor should be 2 or 3. I'm interested in your opinion and ideas.

Only one week has passed, and the system counted 15'000 users. Let's see what it will be by January 20th. :)

Offline ledufe

• Tireless poster
  • LEandro DUpont FErreira
    • View Profile
    • http://ledufe.no-ip.info:2222
very cool idea....

like the google analitycs does....
<<LeDuFe>>

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Indeed it has spread across the world! Hi from Australia! I personally know at least 13 users + the people i have met on the forum! Wooo i helped with statistics NOT. You've got a lot of numbers to deal with, I hope these methods help to give you a close estimate of the total users of this awesome little program.  :o

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
2 weeks to the "end", and 31'000 users counted

Offline Chaz

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
You've definitely made an easy to use HTTP File server :)

I'm sure the Self Test helps alot of people in figuring out what's wrong with their connections.

Offline TCube

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
2 weeks to the "end", and 31'000 users counted

Well, 2 weeks from the final countdown ... don't you think the result will be a strong argument back to the Wine group ?
Make it idiot-proof and I will make a better idiot

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
don't you think the result will be a strong argument back to the Wine group ?

not sure, it is just a number, they don't see anyone asking them directly for support

Offline Flynsarmy

• Occasional poster
  • DENIED!
    • View Profile
    • Flynsarmy
Us Aussies are blessed with ISP's that disconnect us every 24 hours and many ISPs do not have static IP's so over a month you'll probably get 30 different IP's per person.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
of course the number of IP is much more than the number of users, but it should be amortized by counting only last month, and by not counting those who don't let HFS use the internet (because of local use).

nevertheless, i don't expect this counting to be exact, but to have an error factor of (maximum) 2, that is, to be twice as or half of the real number.

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Us Aussies are blessed with ISP's that disconnect us every 24 hours and many ISPs do not have static IP's so over a month you'll probably get 30 different IP's per person.

FUCK TELSTRA IN THE EAR, how awkward. yea we are being screwed over by are ISP's here, we always have been, but have been oblivious until the last few ears when broadband came around... checkout this site (WARNING: may require content you actually have to read!)http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

Can i say f!&k on this forum?  ;)

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
ok folks, the time has come.

for the time, i also improved (i hope) the way the number is esteemed.
let say the ip address is A.B.C.D , the new system will not count addresses where only D changes.
this should improve the correctness of the counting.

anyway... the current number of esteemed HFS users is...

i'm thinking about showing this number somewhere in the HFS website, updated once a day.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
anyway... the current number of esteemed HFS users is...

I expected it to be alot more than that though  ::)
Maybe we should make some banners and spam them all over the internet >=D

Anyway, give the world some more time. If more ppl find out that HFS exists, that number will increase drastically ;D

Offline Fysack

• Tireless poster
  • present picture
    • View Profile
    • Admin

i'm thinking about showing this number somewhere in the HFS website, updated once a day.
That is a great idea!
Every day that goes past, the quality of hfs increase, and so will that number regardless of accurrancy.
It will be exiting to see that number change along with hfs.

Put it right under Total time logged in:  :)
GOD CAN READ YOUR MIND