rejetto forum

Any easier way to make HFS transfering more secure?

psyche · 4 · 1588

Offline psyche

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hi.....I'm quite new to using HFS but I went through the tutorial given in the "Secure your server" regarding making the HFS transfering more secure to get protected from sniffers/hackers. Since I'm not much of an expert in computer language I found it very hard to follow the given particulars.

So I wish to know whether there's an easier way to configure the HFS to run transfering more securely.

thanks

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
Light Protection <- - most used one and pretty secure overall
Restrict some of your files that you dont want to be accessed publicly by creating user accounts.
Only give these accounts to whom you trust.
These files cant ever be downloaded without a valid username and password.

Normal Protection
Use a Login page, so that a user is forced to login before he (or she) can see the actual file list.
(dont forget to restrict all the files to the users you want to allow access for).

Heavy Protection
Tho its not recommended.. but if you really only want your friends (or family) want to access your file server,
then only allow these IP addresses to connect to your FileServer. Thus simply denieing access to everyone else.

Make sure that..
- You have an up to date Anti-Virus scanner (there are some free one's available).
- You may want to use a FireWall as well..
- Your version of Windows is up to date.

Offline psyche

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
"Heavy Protection
Tho its not recommended.. but if you really only want your friends (or family) want to access your file server,
then only allow these IP addresses to connect to your FileServer. Thus simply denieing access to everyone else."

How do u do this exactly. I share files only with my friends and all of them have dyndns addresses since they have dynamic ip addresses. So how to configure the HFS to allow my friends' addresses.

thanx

Offline MarkV

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
With ever-changing IP addresses, you can't do that. AFAIK, there is no ban based on hostnames (yet).

If you really only share with your family, give 'em accounts and require a login before they can access your files/folders.
http://worldipv6launch.org - The world is different now.