rejetto forum

Some folder don't allow access

Offline pieropingi

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Hi. First of all, many thanks! Really! I like HFS a lot!

I have a personal software repository I want to access from anywhere. It's a lot of folders and files in a tree structure.

There are some folders (always the same) where I cannot enter. The server says 'thinking' for a time (I think the 1 min timeout), and then the log puts 'Disconnected'. The browser waits some 3 minutes more, and then enter in the folder, but showing a blank page.

I suspect some filename, or some char in filenames, or the filename lenght, to be the source of the problem, but comparing those filenames with other functioning folders I cannot see differences.

If it will help you, I can give you the address and the folder listings in private.

Thanks in advance.

Offline pieropingi

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Running WinXp Home, but the files are in a unique tree on a LAN ressource:
\\server\ElementsFiniti\Contents\Final- Down\

The problem occurs entering in some sub-folders of 'Final- Down'
From the WAN people access my server trough a router with NAT. Port 80 is mapped with the machine running HFS.

Offline bacter

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
One cause of your problem could be the total lenght of a pathname to some file in a subfolder. Try renaming long foldernames in the tree and/or remove temporarily files with long filenames to verify.
your computer has no brain - use your own !

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
It is strongly disadvised to use lan file  \\server\... because time of network synchronizations under Windows are pitiful when a resource is disconnected.
 have working on it : no solution. :'(

Offline pieropingi

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Sorry, I didn't know LAN paths where disadvised. Btw. by me, till now, it seems to work well.

Finding the cause of the problems I excluded the LAN path and the path lenght assumptions (if somebody is intrested, I can post the tests I made).

My attention went toward a bad char/bad char sequence problem, so I opened a command shell to put the directory list in a file and post-it. There I have seen the cause of the problem: in all the inaccessible folder I have some files or folders with a BAD DATE (creation and last modified dates).
In the details wiew in Windows Explorer, no date is shown. With DOS dir command, and in Properties dialog box I can see (EU format dd/mm/yyyy) 03.01.10000 or 29.12.9999.

Clearly I have to arrange that of my own, but I hope I can help rejetto to emprove and strengthen his wonderful application.
Finally, two questions:
- do anybody know some software I can use to mass-check and change timestamps? (I have really a lot of files and folders)
- have you an idea of the source of my problem? Those dates tells you something? Had everybody similar experiences with a win2k pro fileserver and XP workstation?M

Many thanks

Offline pieropingi

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile

Offline SilentPliz

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
  • ....... chut ! shh!
    • View Profile
- do anybody know some software I can use to mass-check and change timestamps? (I have really a lot of files and folders)

Welcome pieropingi! :)

Try this:

http://ftp.man.poznan.pl/pub/simtelnet/win95/fileutl/datee400.zip ;)

This works very well with several files & folders.
Read the text file for installation.

-----------------------------------

It is very good too for file changes (more parameters):

PropertiesPlus

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,4979-order,4-c,filemanagement/download.html
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 11:12:49 AM by SilentPliz »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
being a Total Commander user, i would "find files" with date between X and Y.

i will try to fix this bug.
thank you for reporting. ;)