rejetto forum

{.redirect | B .} doesn't always work in IE

raybob · 13 · 9553

Offline raybob

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • FileSplat.com
The redirect will work the first time it is used, then after that won't work anymore in IE.  It simply won't redirect the page.

Is this the fault of HFS or Internet Explorer?  It does work fine in Firefox.

Raybob

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline raybob

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • FileSplat.com
Just put the macro in a page, and see if it works in IE after using it several times.

Here's a video that shows you that no matter how many times I try to submit the invalid form in Mozilla, it always redirects me properly back to the new account page.  In IE, it will redirect me back once, then the second time will take me to the submission page EVEN THOUGH the URL at the top says " /~newaccount?username=none " , as it should.     Because of this I'm inclined to think it's an IE problem but maybe not so why not report it.  As far as I know, the macros I'm using are valid.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i tried to reproduce the problem as you said, but i was not successful.
I created a folder, and in it i put the redirect to another folder.
I attach you my test, please let me know what does it do for you.

Offline raybob

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • FileSplat.com
Hmmm yes it does work in the VFS you sent me.  I also tried adding a {.break.} and a URL Variable in the code and it still worked as expected, every time.

Would you like me to send you my VFS and template so you can screw around with it?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
yes.
attach it here, or if it's private you can send to support@rejetto.com

Offline raybob

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • FileSplat.com
OK I emailed it to you.

Additionally, I tested that the redirect does work properly in Opera, Chrome, and Safari.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline raybob

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • FileSplat.com
Nothing Yet?

EDIT:  Perhaps it's something wrong with my code rather than HFS or IE but this is becoming somewhat of a problem.  I just had a new user submit the signup form but forget to put in a password, and IE let him through.  It created his account without a password and since he thinks he typed one in, now he can't log on.  So I just lost a user.   :(

EDIT:  I think I have located the problem to happening whenever the redirect is in an {.if|.} or {.if not|.} statement.  Most redirects on my site work fine.  However, I just created another very simple one.  However, in IE, only, it will fail to redirect.  Oddly though, it will show the correct URL at the top in the address bar while not being on that page.  Here's the very simple code that doesn't work properly.  Another Edit:  I put the code below into the test.vfs you sent me (build 277) and it does work as intended . . . .

Code: [Select]
{.if not|%user%|{:{.redirect|/.}:}.}

EDIT:  I even put my entire submission script into your test.vfs and it works perfectly, in every browser.  So why doesn't it work with my template? As of now I am completely frustrated and out of ideas, so hopefully being the smart guy you are you will have some.  :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:29:01 AM by raybob95 »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
nothing yet., but didn't forget you.
i recently started a new job (now i have 3!) and had less time, just enough to answer some quick questions.
i hope to get some peace soon.

Offline raybob

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • FileSplat.com
I've changed my system a bit, and the bug still happens of course.

Anyway, after creating an account, the user is eventually sent to a page called ~submission.  In IE, the user will still get to that page even if they don't fill out the form.  However, HFS luckily won't create their invalid account even if they're only missing one field.  Another oddity is that at the top in the address bar, IE will display the correct redirected URL!  If you go into the top of the address bar and click enter on the correct address of the new account page, IE will still stay on the validation page incorrectly.  This must be some freakish IE problem.  It happens in the new IE9 too . . .

Offline SilentPliz

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
  • ....... chut ! shh!
    • View Profile
Hi!

Have you tried something like this?

... redirect={.decodeuri| ...

Offline raybob

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • FileSplat.com
I started with the original template and tried to see what I had to do to reproduce this problem.

Simple.  It seems to happen only when using a form to post variables to a page that immediately redirects to another page.  Usually IE just shows a white page but in this case it's asking me to download some file with no extension.... probably because I didn't bother to put HTML in the page it's redirecting to.  Maybe this will help you fix the problem.  I for one still have zero idea why IE fails in this situation, but at least I figured out how to reproduce it.

Let me know if this helps.

EDIT:  I think that's only happening because I didn't put in <html> tags.....  Still unable to reproduce it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:55:47 PM by raybob95 »