rejetto forum

Testing Thunderchicken_of_Glory

fabnos · 26 · 16984

Offline Flynsarmy

• Occasional poster
  • DENIED!
    • View Profile
    • Flynsarmy
I've tried talking to TSG on countless occasions, trying to convince him to change the
way the damn mp3 player in ToG works. It's my most hated feature in the entire
template. I suggested, rather than loading hundreds of instances of the mp3 player on
page load, we just print text in an iframe with a javascript link that loads the mp3
player for that file. It'd stop ALL these problems of high CPU usage regardless of whether
you're loading the page internally or externally. He simply refuses to hear me. I know
compatability is important, but compatability at the expense of usability? That's where
you hit a problem.

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Yes me and Giant Eagle on his template are working on the javascript to do it a similiar way aswell, because we cant get IE to read the playlist file properly. I will have a talk with Giant Eagle when he comes online at around 3am here lol. He wants to have a single flash mp3 player up the top, that all files a can be played in, maybe using a checkbox or something, we havent decided, but if you think your up to this (and you probably are) and want to make this iframe one go for it, i dont care i am sick of the flash one chewing up memory, i have tested it myself now ;) and its fairly noticable. Uno i could have just yelled at you on msn, but i want the whole forum to see the progress of the mp3 player :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 04:42:41 AM by That_Stevens_Guy »

Offline Flynsarmy

• Occasional poster
  • DENIED!
    • View Profile
    • Flynsarmy
With the destruction of the infamous mass mp3 player numbers imminent, I feel I have struck a
blow for the people.

Don't worry lads, I'll keep fighting the good fight.

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
rather than loading hundreds of instances of the mp3 player on page load

That was a concern of mine too.  But I don't see that behavior anymore.   mp3player.swf is loaded only ONCE when I FIRST open a music folder and it doesn't matter how many mp3's are in it.  (however, I try to limit the music files to a max of around 25 per page).  Also, if I go to another music folder and open it, HFS logs show NO additional loading of mp3player.  I'm guessing memory/cache is handling the call if needed. 

I do remember my logs showing multiple loadings of mp3player.swf.  As I mentioned  above, I don't see that anymore.  I can only attribute that positive change in behavior to a code change I made calling the player.  If you go to the previous page in this thread, you will see the change I made.  If it wasn't the code change that did it, then I don't know what else I did to make it work "right".  Tested and works in IE6, FF, Netscape, & Opera.

Below are 2 attachments.  One is a music page I opened which had a total of 13 mp3's in it.  The other is the HFS log showing the activity. (note: mp3player.swf loaded only 1 time not 13 times).

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 01:47:10 PM by maverick »
maverick

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
hmmm well if you could get my 1.19kb single player to work by only uploading once..... that woudl be awesome actually lol. I have noticed that the jireonwigerinegs one actually only loads once, but it takes a while to set itself up on the user end, because it looks for playlist first then transforms to a single player.... wonder if it would be possible to make my edited player load once....

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
it takes a while to set itself up on the user end, because it looks for playlist first then transforms to a single player....

I don't think it looks for a playlist first if the playlist isn't included in the configuration or if you aren't using the javascript setup to use a playlist (at least I haven't noticed that behavior).

As far as it takes a while to set itself up on the user end, I think that has to do with the browser the user is using.  Some browsers load the page a lot faster than others.  This is what I have noticed:

Fastest  - Opera v8.5x  (my default is v8.54)
     :      - Opera v9.xx              )  Opera v9.xx and
     :      - Internet Explorer 6     )  IE6 are comparable
     :      - Netscape v7.2
Slowest - Firefox v1.5.0.1 & v2.0 (don't know why this browser is so slow)

maverick

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Because the .swf is shrunk down to 50x20px u cant see exactly what is going on, you get a blurred view of the larger player, if you set it to 200x300px, or even open the swf on ur PC it should do it, you will see that the player first sets itself up to run a playlist, then defaults back to a single player, the benefit of my single mp3 player is that it does not do this hence it is only 1.19kb. So it would be nice if my mp3player could upload once and function the same way... We are stil looking into a javascript method, the ppl with js turned off can either grow up, install a firewall, or are not worthy of listening to the music :D.

Offline TSG

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
Ok an update on the ToG, been fixing things that i have missed (%folder-comment%  :-[) and editing code, and we finally have our new mp3 method. Thanks to Flynsarmy.

Users that have javascript turned off do not deserve to listen to the music :D

This is how it works. We are using the mp3player that i have put together for the ToG (1.18kb), the user hits a stream button, which changes the contents of a div, when this appears the user can stream the song, hit stop while it still loads (streams), and to end the streaming, they hit End Stream, it seems that when a person hits this and changes the contents of the div, the mp3 stops playing AND streaming,  :o.

This method overcomes the cpu and ram problems with multiple loads of the mp3 player, and we like it alot, the next step is to make it only allow the streaming of one file... but thats for later. A new build will be out just before i go on holidays. But this isnt the final, we have 1 extra feature to put in it, but it wont be complete for at least 2wks.

The .tpl is still only 20kb keeping with the ToG's, tiny size / lots of features, thing that we have going atm. I have been testing it on flynsarmy's shaped upload speed of 64k and it works just the same as normal!

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
yes, good idea, a javascript button that just changes the only player

Offline Giant Eagle

• Tireless poster
  • >=3 RAWR!
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs.com
The only problem now is preventing multiple streams ;D

anyway.. nice work :)