rejetto forum

HFS problem detecting external ip

Guest · 8 · 2917

TanJo

Everything in HFS if great :D except for this weird problem.
I have a dynamic ip. On HFS's ip list there's the unknown ip, my correct external ip (i'm using a dialer) and my 2 NIC ip's. I tried whois-ing the mysterious ip and it turns out to be from my isp. The 'find external ip' gives me the same weird ip making the dynamic dns updater useless. i'm using no-ip and their DUC reports my correct external ip.
I hope someone can help me ??? i tried the beta version but it's still the same.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

TanJo

Thanks for the reply.
I tried the sites you mentioned and it gave the wrong ip. Then I tried using opendns and now it shows the correct ip.
I'd guess that my ISP's dns server is the culprit?

Now I don't need to use No-iP's DUC again  :D
 ;D ;D HFS is the best!!!  ;D ;D

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
hmm... weird... detection of your IP should have nothing to do with your DNS server

Offline MarkV

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Maybe there is a transparent proxy present and the free services only detect the proxy IP?

Does the client send X-Forwarded-For headers?
http://worldipv6launch.org - The world is different now.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i guess this X-Forwarded-For is introduced by the proxy itself, not by the client
with a transparent proxy a client doesn't even know there is a proxy, right?

Offline MarkV

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
OK, I don't know exactly if transparent proxies modify the IP when data passes through-but IF a proxy, then a transparent one, because it seems that he had not to configure one.

It could be even a proxy at the ISP level, like AOL does. In this case only the ISP's proxy IP would be detected if the test does not heed X-Forwarded-for headers.

Anyway, I think it would not hurt to check for these headers IF they are present.
http://worldipv6launch.org - The world is different now.

Offline darkmatter

• Occasional poster
  • GIANT SCRIBBLES!
    • View Profile
    • HFS Live
you knoiw.... for some reasone i had this same problem........ and i just made it port 8080........ and even thoug i hate it.... it works great.......
darkmatter.podzone.org:8080
like that