rejetto forum

HELP! I can locally browse my server, but my friends cannot.

Guest · 47 · 26591

Anonymous

Quote from: "SiY11"
Hmmm I always thought there were 1024 kilobytes in a megabyte well I guess I was wrong thanks for the correction.
That's megabit not megabyte

Offline SiY11

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Anonymous"
Hmmm I always thought there were 1024 kilobytes in a megabyte well I guess I was wrong thanks for the correction.
That's megabit not megabyte

I see what you are saying. I converted bits to bytes so my 1024 still stands true

Anonymous

We are talking about megabits not megabytes.  (my last comment might have been confusing)

Offline SiY11

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
We are talking about megabits not megabytes.  (my last comment might have been confusing)

Lol I am confused how I am wrong there are 8 bits in a byte so you divide the bits by 8 to get kilobytes.

Offline SiY11

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
1 megabit = 1 048 576 bits

3 megabits
bits 3145728
bytes 393216
kilobits 3072 <-- Divide that by 3 and you get 1024kilobits
kilobytes 384
megabits 3
megabytes 0.375

Anonymous

First off, I made a typo a few posts up where I said 1 megabit = 1000 bits.  That should read 1 megabit - 1000 kbits.

"A megabit per second (Mbps or Mbit/s) is a unit of data transmission equal to 1,000 kilobits per second or 1,000,000 bits per second."

As I stated previously, the error is when you used 1024 and not 1000 before dividing by 8 to get kB/s (kilobytes per second).

http://www.answers.com/topic/megabit-per-second

Anonymous

1 megabit = 1 048 576 bits
We are talking about megabits in relation to data transfer rates in internet and network speeds.  Therefore, 1 megabit = 1,000,000 bits.

Your reference above, which is correct but not what we are talking about, is a megabit relating to storage or capacity like in memory modules and video games cartridges etc.  The megabit in that case is equal to 1,048,576 bits.

I know it can get confusing.

Offline SiY11

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
First off, I made a typo a few posts up where I said 1 megabit = 1000 bits.  That should read 1 megabit - 1000 kbits.

"A megabit per second (Mbps or Mbit/s) is a unit of data transmission equal to 1,000 kilobits per second or 1,000,000 bits per second."

As I stated previously, the error is when you used 1024 and not 1000 before dividing by 8 to get kB/s (kilobytes per second).

http://www.answers.com/topic/megabit-per-second

Ok dude I knew what you meant but 1 megabit = 1 024 kilobits I know what I am talking about I am in school for computer sci and one of the requirements is MATH! and everybody know that 1 megabit = 1 024 kilobits so that answer.com is incorrect and I am will to challenge the person who posted the incorrect answer I have an MCSE book that has many typos and incorrect term and key terms ok so don’t believe ever thing you see or hear get a second opinion. I think we might be talking about two different things because I don’t understand how we keep getting different results.

Anonymous

Ok dude... yet another opinion can be found here which agrees with my original and subsequent posts up above in this thread...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabit

Anonymous

... and here's another reference which again agrees to my posts above in this thread....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabit_per_second

No point going on further with this discussion.

Offline SiY11

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Ok dude... yet another opinion can be found here which agrees with my original and subsequent posts up above in this thread...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabit

That only proves me right you don’t understand I converted bit to bytes because he was asking why he only got 30 kilobytes a sec. you know what we are both right
10^6 bit/s = 1,000,000 bit/s = 1 Mbit/s (one megabit or one million bits per second)
2^20 bit/s = 1,048,576 bit/s = 1 Mibit/s (one mebibit per second)
What I was doing was converting bits to bytes so that make the 1024 number correct.
 I CONVERTED FROM BITS TO BYTES TO KILOBYTES

lets say you want to find out how many megabytes are in 54megabits you do this 54 / 8 = 6.75mb ok if you want to know how many kilobytes are in 54megabits you would do 1024 * 54 = 55296 / 8 = 6912kilobytes now to check our answer we will do 6912 / 1024 = 6.75 so that right there proves my calculations are correct because the first equation I did was bit not bytes. But on the second equation I converted bits to bytes then to kilobytes then I checked my answer and found it correct its simple algebra dude.

Offline SiY11

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Wow this is getting heated hehe. Sorry I just love to prove myself right please don’t take it personally I think I am always right my wife hates it lol.

Anonymous

One very last post in this thread (which really doesn't seem to be going anywhere and I don't think anyone but us really cares anyway) :lol:

Yes, both of our calculations are correct.  

BUT.. This thread is about data transfer rates (speed) on the internet or on a network.  

In that context, it always equals 10^6. (1 megabit = 10^6 = 1,000,000 bits).  My calculations are based on that.  

YOU are assuming (by your calculations) that 1 megabit = 2^20 = 1,048,576 bits (which is also correct) BUT that is used to express the capacity of memory modules NOT data transfer speed on the internet or a network which is what this thread is about.  I have explained that previously in this thread.

Therefore, my answer is correct. :smokin:

Offline SiY11

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
One very last post in this thread (which really doesn't seem to be going anywhere and I don't think anyone but us really cares anyway) :lol:

Yes, both of our calculations are correct.  

BUT.. This thread is about data transfer rates (speed) on the internet or on a network.  

In that context, it always equals 10^6. (1 megabit = 10^6 = 1,000,000 bits).  My calculations are based on that.  

YOU are assuming (by your calculations) that 1 megabit = 2^20 = 1,048,576 bits (which is also correct) BUT that is used to express the capacity of memory modules NOT data transfer speed on the internet or a network which is what this thread is about.  I have explained that previously in this thread.

But the only way to convert to true Kilobytes is to use the 2^20 I believe that because when you download something the status indicator displays in Kilobytes a sec not bits so to be more accurate to the progress window you would use the 2^20 always but this is turning into a what’s better 10^6 or 2^20 that’s like doing the NVIDIA vs. ATI they have there pro's and con's but when it comes down to it depends on the person for the selection. Phew this was fun.  :rotfl:  :blowup:

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
Yes, I agree with you.
maverick