rejetto forum

inheritable upload permissions

CJ · 12 · 4474

Offline CJ

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
how can i set upload permissions for only one user, but for the parent folder so that only THAT user and NO OTHERS can login, and be able to upload to the parent folder and any of the child folders?  so, basically, i just have to give upload rights to one user on the parent folder, but then ANY folder (the parent folder or ANY child folder) that the user is in, the child folders have the inherited upload permission, also.  essentially, inherited permissions.  Thanks! :)

Offline r][m

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
What HFS version are you using?
266 is the most recent.

Offline r][m

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
While 2.2f is the latest offical version, I think, it is quite different than 2.3 beta 266
and I'm not familiar with it. I'd use 266. You can download it from the beta section
of this forum.
If you drag a folder and drop it on a real folder in the vfs window it should inherit
the properties.
You may also want to check mark the feature in Menu > Virtual File System >
List protected items only for allowed users.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 02:38:22 PM by r][m »

Offline CJ

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
nada...tried drag-and-drop and none of the child folders inherited the permissions from the parent folder. 

Offline r][m

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
nada...tried drag-and-drop and none of the child folders inherited the permissions from the parent folder. 

In 266?

Another thing to check is what properties are set for root? I believe what ever it is set to
all folders will inherit. In 266 I clear it and then set the subfolders of root individually
to whatever I need.

Offline CJ

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
no, in 2.2f 155. can't use beta for this project. it is for a client and i need a stable version.  also, upload is disabled for root. 

Offline r][m

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Unfortunately theres not much more I can do to help, since 266 is
considerably different. Much more advanced.
Beta's here are not your typical beta = unstable/problems, but
I can understand about it being for a client.

Offline CJ

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
you're right! in 266, it works perfectly! as soon as it gets released as a stable version, i can implement it. Thanks! :)

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
please specify exactly how the virtual file system is.
you have a folder A with upload rights, and it's real folder of course.
Then.... you have the sub-folders in the virtual file system? or are they loaded from the disk through real folder A ?
in the latter case you don't see them in the VFS.
in the first case you should specify if they are real or not. I guess they are real because no upload is allowed to virtual ones.

Offline CJ

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
r][m is right...they are inherited.  they are all real, but it doesn't matter if they are actually part of the tree in HFS, as long as the parent folder has the rights, it trickles down to the child folders as long as they are real on the hard drive, which is fine and works for me and this project.  i only have the parent (real), child (real), and ONE grandchild (real) folders on the HFS tree, but when opened in browser, i can click on any grandchild folder (since it's real on the hard drive), and see everything and also have full rights, same as were set for admin on parent folder (access, upload, delete, etc...). so all rights are inherited for admin whether it's actually ON the HFS tree or just on drive...as long as parent is real and rights are set accordingly.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:50:40 PM by CJ »

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Indeed, 99% permissions have always been inherited, except few cases.
I asked many questions because i assumed you already tried and it wasn't working for you.