rejetto forum

Sony PS3 unable to straight-open media. Only through "File->Save"

Guest · 10 · 6213

3Flight

Hello, everybody. Thank you Mr. Rejetto for making such a useful software. I would like to ask a question.

Basically, subj. If I use PS3 browser to watch a movie for example, I get an error. However, downloading by means of File->Save works fine. It's just not so convenient. If I use another web server (I tried "Small HTTP Server") and make webpage with a link to a file, I can straight-open it by clicking on a link and I don't have to download it (although rewind/fforward/pause works pretty bad in this mode, better not to try or playback will get stuck, but that's another thing). I wonder if there's an option to enable my PS3 to open files from HFS server without saving them to drive (which takes both time and free space). Any solutions?

Offline MarkV

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
You should check the 'MIME Types...' and 'Open directly in browser...' (Other options). Switch to Expert Mode if you don't have already.
http://worldipv6launch.org - The world is different now.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
I have a PS3... I haven't tested HFS on it for a while now, but the last time I used the PS3 browser with HFS I don't think there was even a stream functionality to playback files...  I know you can stream things as they download from the PSN. I will turn on my PS3 now and have a play, going to play Fallout 3 anyway :). MarkV has a valid point, it might be the MIME types... but lets check this out... I have already asked for UPnP Media Server functionality for HFS so devices like the PS3 can simply find and stream from HFS like Azurues(Vuze), Tversity etc... but I don't know if its been added to the To-Do list yet. I have the latest firmware.

EDIT:
Ok it is working fine for me. I tested with an XviD AVI file at 175mb ~20min over 54mbps wireless. And it works perfectly. I have no idea how a higher quality video would go, it would most likely just take a lot longer to buffer over wireless.

It would also appear that the latest firmware has the latest flash player 9 included aswell. The RAWR-Player is working perfectly even with the new file formats enabled. Slight font issue but we cant cater for everything. It works :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 06:49:04 AM by That_Stevens_Guy »

3Flight

Err, I'm not really a pro in these "MIME types", could you guys give a lil assistance here - what exactly should/should not be present in mime types list and in "open directly" list? For now I'm trying to open .avi and .ts files.

Considering streaming of high-quality video - I just use a cable. Of course WiFi won't handle it. But cable connection works well for up to 15GB remuxes at worst(never tried a bigger file, tried 4GB and 9GB rips - no lag). I guess you can do even with 30GB remuxes. Maybe a 1Gb/s card is required for this, I don't know. I've got one now, but I watched 15Gb remux through an ordinary 100Mb/s card.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Offline n1kl4z

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I have the exact opposite problem.
When I click on the video, it opens right away (without saving it to the PS3). I've looked at the "open directly in browser" option and the MIME types. The .avi extension is not in there.
So how do I disable this and make the save dialog appear?

I'm using the latest beta build, "2.3 beta - Build 214".

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
it may be a setting of your browser.
consider there's no way for HFS to force saving or opening, that's up to the browser.
hfs only suggests desired behaviour, that can be bypassed by the user.

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
I have the exact opposite problem.
When I click on the video, it opens right away (without saving it to the PS3). I've looked at the "open directly in browser" option and the MIME types. The .avi extension is not in there.
So how do I disable this and make the save dialog appear?

I'm using the latest beta build, "2.3 beta - Build 214".

Its one of the buttons on the controller or in the browser menu, to save a file instead of stream. I don't know which button but ino it is possible cause I did it with mine for a game trailer.

Niklas

Its one of the buttons on the controller or in the browser menu, to save a file instead of stream. I don't know which button but ino it is possible cause I did it with mine for a game trailer.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I know it can be done through the menu (triangle -> file -> save).
I just want to skip going through the menu since I never stream anyway.

it may be a setting of your browser.
consider there's no way for HFS to force saving or opening, that's up to the browser.
hfs only suggests desired behaviour, that can be bypassed by the user.

Alright, seems like it's not possible then.

Thanks.