rejetto forum

Can Dynaminc IPs be used with HFS?

Guest · 19 · 10349

rampant_looks

I beleive static IPS can be used easily..
But what abt. Dyanmic IPS? .. i mean i can host my server now.. and whn i disconnect what happens? My IP will change..
OK.. read that no-ip.com and dyndyns.org might help .. but how?
that way would they track my IP address from the origin point? i don't get it!!

Offline TGeRi

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Hi!

1. u reg at no-ip.com
2. u configure hfs to know ur user/pass to no-ip
3. whenever ur ip changes hfs updates it on the no-ip.com szerver

And xxy.no-ip.com will alway point to ur actual ip.

this is the trick.

i hope i helped,
TGeRi

zozoshing

I am using router, i have a no-ip account already, but how can i config my HFS to the no-ip??

Anonymous

ANTS

Does HFS automatcially update your no-ip account or do you need to always manually do it?

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
Quote from: "ANTS"
Does HFS automatcially update your no-ip account or do you need to always manually do it?
No HFS doesn't automatically update the no-ip account. (I haven't tried to see if it does, but I don't think so).   What you do, once you have an account setup etc. with no-ip is to download a utility from them.  This utility automatically updates any change to your real IP address with your no-ip account.  Just put this utility in your startup folder or run it  when you start HFS.   It has worked flawlessly for me for a very long time.

Go here for more information and to download the utility.

http://www.no-ip.com/downloads.php
maverick

traxxus

Or buy the greatest and best WLAN Router ever:

Linksys WRT54G(S) wit hde dd-wrt Firmware.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
yes IT DOES
that's what "updater" means in Dynamic DNS Updater ;)

if your HFS is running you don't need the utility maverick is talking about

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
Quote from: "rejetto"
yes IT DOES

Thanks for the clarification rejetto.  Now I know HFS does automatically update.  I have been using the no-ip utility for so long I never bothered to try the Dynamic DNS updater in HFS.  :#)  I'll have to give it a try.

EDIT - Just tried the Dynamic DNS updater within HFS and it works very good!  Good job rejetto.

EDIT AGAIN... SEE POST BELOW....
maverick

Offline mario_a

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Wow, I never knew HFS could do this kind of dynamic IP updation. Rejetto, thanks for mentioning it, and maverick, thanks for confirming it.  :D

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
Quote from: "rejetto"
yes IT DOES

This is an update to my reply post above.  Further testing reveals the following.....

After the memory is cleared with a reboot, the HFS Dynamic DNS Updater  for the No-IP.com template Fails to Connect to the host. :(   I tried numerous times.  The self-test also fails and it isn't a router problem because I don't use one with this system.

So all I can say is that the Dynamic DNS Updater in HFS for the no-ip template doesn't work for me contrary to what I said in a post above.  The Dynamic DNS Updater utility supplied by no-ip works everytime without fail.
maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
hmm, do you have an advice on what the problem might be?

Offline maverick

• Tireless poster
  • Computer Solutions
    • View Profile
I'm not really sure rejetto as there were no error messages.  From what I can remember from 1 month ago when I was testing this, I think the problem was the HFS Dynamic DNS Updater wasn't logging in properly to the no-ip account.
maverick

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
are you interested in retesting it, so we may try to remove a possible bug so you can avoid using an additional software?
it would be good using a sniffer and watching if HFS actually make requests for updating... and if it does, if the url is correct

rawbanana

I've been testing the beta 40 and I can't get the dynamic dns updater to work. I can't tell if it is even connecting to www.dyndns.com. If I update it multiple times, sometimes it works. Definately doesn't work after I reset my computer.

I've had no problems since giving up and switching to the Dyndns Updater.