rejetto forum

URL Could not be retrieved

Offline maciozo

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I have set up a server with some stuff on it. My friends have no trouble connecting to it on their home computers, but when i try and go on the site from the school computers, i get an error message saying "URL Could not be retrieved".

On the log it says that the pc connected to it fine, then it says "Requested GET /", and after that it says "Disconnected by server - 5632 bytes sent".

I don't know whether this is the school's firewall blocking it or something but I would have thought that it would be the client that disconnected, not the server.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
the disconnection is not necessarily a problem: it always happens when there's no data exchanged for a while.

you should try from other computers, it's the quickest way.

Offline maciozo

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply,

what do you mean other computers? home computers or school computers? The school computers all probably use the same external ip so i don't know if that will help.

I'm just taking a quick look at the log and it says that the school pc connected at least 50 times, each time with a different port.

And if this always happens when there's no data excanged for a while, then how come my friend could connect to it 3 hours later from his home pc?

BTW: the server is hosted on Ubuntu 10.10 using Wine.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
what do you mean other computers? home computers or school computers? The school computers all probably use the same external ip so i don't know if that will help.

home computers, indeed.
it's common for schools to impose limits.

I'm just taking a quick look at the log and it says that the school pc connected at least 50 times, each time with a different port.

the client port always changes, it's normal. It's the server using a fixed port.

And if this always happens when there's no data excanged for a while, then how come my friend could connect to it 3 hours later from his home pc?

just ignore it, it's not a problem, it's normal. That's what all web servers do, it's in the nature of http.