rejetto forum

1.6 comin...

rejetto · 291 · 114678

Offline Rafi

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
At last.... :)   I like the new URL feature (which I suggested  long time ago... ;) ).
Now  HFS to a REAL VIRTUAL-GLOBAL File System  :^^:

One problem and two  suggestions:
A* in the URL tooltip - you cannot see the comment ...
B* suggestions:
1. Support "hits" count on URL  links (same as in files) in HFS side and on the other end
2. Add hits count to folders - that will be the sum of all it's tree-hits (only if it will not take time to calculate and slow everything down...)
3. and - this is a tricky one: support two typesqicons of URLs - one is for address-only type (i.e. - xxx.yyy.zzz or .../<page link>)   and the other files-type (<address>/<file_name>).
The file-type will have also the "run" option available on the menu ' and can have a different icon - like the globe+the file type icon in it.

OK, there are 3 and not 2 suggestions, so you can stop the implementation after #2 ... ;)

Again, nice work!

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
You can set 'Access for Users' on a new link. Should that be possible?
yes, i find it is very useful with the "List protected items..." option

Quote from: "TheEtron"
After loggin in, can there be a logout button? The sessoin will remain open if you have a browser open. I think there should be a logout button as well.  ;)

i wish i could but...
Quote from: "RFC 2616 on HTTP 1.1"
15.6 Authentication Credentials and Idle Clients

Existing HTTP clients and user agents typically retain authentication information indefinitely. HTTP/1.1. does not provide a method for a server to direct clients to discard these cached credentials. This is a significant defect that requires further extensions to HTTP. Circumstances under which credential caching can interfere with the application's security model include but are not limited to:

- Clients which have been idle for an extended period following which the server might wish to cause the client to reprompt the user for credentials.

- Applications which include a session termination indication (such as a `logout' or `commit' button on a page) after which the server side of the application `knows' that there is no further reason for the client to retain the credentials.

This is currently under separate study. There are a number of work-arounds to parts of this problem, and we encourage the use of password protection in screen savers, idle time-outs, and other methods which mitigate the security problems inherent in this problem. In particular, user agents which cache credentials are encouraged to provide a readily accessible mechanism for discarding cached credentials under user control.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Rafi"
in the URL tooltip - you cannot see the comment ...
fixed
1. Support "hits" count on URL  links (same as in files) in HFS side and on the other end
hmm, this is impossibile unless i use a redirection system. that is, who click on a link will make a request to HFS that will then redirect it to the real address. this 1. slowdownss user browsing 2. hides the real address    ...do you want it?

2. Add hits count to folders - that will be the sum of all it's tree-hits (only if it will not take time to calculate and slow everything down...)
i did it, but is is the count of hits to the folder, not the recursive sum.

3. and - this is a tricky one: support two typesqicons of URLs - one is for address-only type (i.e. - xxx.yyy.zzz or .../<page link>)   and the other files-type (<address>/<file_name>).
The file-type will have also the "run" option available on the menu ' and can have a different icon - like the globe+the file type icon in it.

i understand the need for 2 icons, but to run a link just use the browse command
so, is your need to change the icon?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
download the last 1.6 and you will change icons ;)

just update the what's new list, also

Offline Rafi

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "rejetto"
download the last 1.6 and you will change icons ;)

just update the what's new list, also

Got it.

Some notes:
1. If you can mark/show  1.6xxx versions as RCx it can help

2. hits on folders: I was amazed to see that actually - they ARE counting the clicks on files inside them ...  :D  did you mean to do that ?  It IS good!
They also ADD to the hit count clicks on the folders themselves... well, not too bad  ;)

3. New ICONs implementation - look nice (allthough I meant it differently) :
   a. icons list - has many many duplicated icons. (on my VFS files)
   b. new assigned icons are NOT passed to the other side
   c. general thing:  passing of the icons is very slow. may be you can consider puting an option to disable passing of icons. better yet - give a control to the remote client to do it.

What I meant was:
that somehow you can "treat" URL links as regular files (detect the file type at the end of the URL string) and automatically use this file extention icon but show  near it a special icon/symbol  showing that it is actually remotely located link.
Just got an idea on another (better?) way to do it - do not change the icon at all, just underline the file/link name + bold font or blue color . Same thing - at the remote end.

4. GETRIGHT:
a. check again hfs with it. Looks like the "new" link-files might be "confusing" it... also - try protect the root point and see it's effect
b.  files inside folders - it seems not to show them as files but as sub-folders...

5. edit: deleted ...

Nice work!

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
2. it does not work that way, i just tested it.
however i introduce now a new symbol %item-dl-rcount%' that will do what you are asking.
it will count only hits for files.

3a. it may be caused by the fact that Windows actually stores different icons with same look. now i added a byte-byte comparison. i hope this check won't slow down thing. however it is done only on file addition.

3b. fixed

3c. the option is already there: use system icons

3d. i am using the shGetFileInfo() winapi call to retrieve file icon. it seems to work only with existing local files, so i can't retrieve remote file icon.

4a. i don't have getright installed ATM, could you be more specific so that i can fix the bug without installing it?

4b. getright does not know what is a file or folder, it just has links <a>. it will show a file icon if the link has a final extension, a folder icon if it has none.

...just uploaded rc1

Zeca

If I disable the option of show system icons all default icons are like ms-dos icon; but If I enable the show system icons option all my files with default icon show a hand (the last icon of the list) instead of the system icon.

The Etron

Regarding 1.6.rc1:

Hi, when I add a hudge folder and answer no on the 'auto update' question and during adding items deleting the folder again, I get an error.  

Thanks for creating this program, it's so easy to work with!  :D

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "The Etron"
Hi, when I add a hudge folder and answer no on the 'auto update' question and during adding items deleting the folder again, I get an error.
this bug is already in to-do list

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Zeca"
If I disable the option of show system icons all default icons are like ms-dos icon; but If I enable the show system icons option all my files with default icon show a hand (the last icon of the list) instead of the system icon.

whoops  8O
i uploaded the wrong one
please, redownload

Offline Rafi

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "rejetto"
Quote from: "Zeca"

whoops  8O
i uploaded the wrong one
please, redownload

can you post it's link again ? I'm getting the same file... (maybe mark it rc1a  ;)  )

Offline Gobble

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I just downloaded the latest HFS that says RC1 but it isn't working.  I am able to get the first page up but then cannot login or browse any unprotected folders.  IE just sits and tries to open the page but never does.  

I opened a previous RC1 that I downloaded and it works fine.  I think something is wrong twith the last RC1 that was posted.

Zeca

With this downloaed version when I try to share two files, ex: a gif and a excel file HFS gives an error about not having system resources. Then I can't make nothing else with the computer besides restarting it.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
yes i see
i introduced some error in the last editing
i can't fix it now because i'm moving for holidays
i hope to fix it in 48 hours