rejetto forum

HFS Network Storage Integration

Offline Funtime60

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I have two machines, one is running HFS 24/7. The other one isn't on 24/7 but has more storage and all the files that I want, I just need to use WOL (Haven't looked into HFS - WOL integration yet, not the problem). However, I cannot add network locations as folders to the HFS server. HFS just shows a $c and other $letters corresponding to my physical drives in the second machine and mapped network drives don't show up. I have seen others with this problem, but none of them had a solution with confirmed success and the suggestions were just things that I already tried. I welcome anyone with a solution or even just a constructive suggestion.

Thank you for your time.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
welcome :)
WOL is not supposed to be handled by HFS.
i didn't understand what your problem actually is, the sentence is a bit confusing. You say C$ shows. Does it fully work?
I just tried with both C$ and "simple folders" mapped through SMB (e.g. \\server\simple-folder ) and worked fine.
Be sure you have right permissions and access works accessing those addresses through Windows Explorer.

Offline Mars

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
it's much easier,   go to "network favorites",  use "connect a network drive" ,

and assign the remote share as a local letter that is added to the VFS

Offline Funtime60

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
welcome :)
WOL is not supposed to be handled by HFS.
i didn't understand what your problem actually is, the sentence is a bit confusing. You say C$ shows. Does it fully work?
I just tried with both C$ and "simple folders" mapped through SMB (e.g. \\server\simple-folder ) and worked fine.
Be sure you have right permissions and access works accessing those addresses through Windows Explorer.

I understand that and am sorry if I didn't make it clear that I wasn't expecting it to have ANY WOL integration. It was mostly just useless for me to mention it.

it's much easier,   go to "network favorites",  use "connect a network drive" ,

and assign the remote share as a local letter that is added to the VFS

No offence intended, as it's already been mentioned that may phrasing is poor so you may have missed my original point. I said that what you suggest has been tested and does not work. I also feel that I should mention that this is running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Offline bmartino1

• Tireless poster
  • I'm only trying to help i mean no offense.
    • View Profile
    • My HFS Google Drive Shared Link
C$ is windows secret hidden read-only share. And is not wol capabley.

If you are network sharing and want will you will have to enable file sharing on the PC first then use 3com or other tools to enable a wol

Hfs can add a network share, and you can setup wol network sharing...

Have to find the post on someone doing this. There were issues with read/wrote with network shared drive...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 12:38:24 AM by bmartino1 »
Files I have snagged and share can be found on my google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qb4INX2pzsjmMT06YEIQk9Nv5jMu33tC?usp=sharing

Offline Funtime60

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
C$ is windows secret hidden read-only share. And is not wol capabley.

If you are network sharing and want will you will have to enable file sharing on the PC first then use 3com or other tools to enable a wol

Hfs can add a network share, and you can setup wol network sharing...

Have to find the post on someone doing this. There were issues with read/wrote with network shared drive...

If I wasn't clear, I don't care about WOL right now, though I will look into what you said as I don't know anything about 3com or such.

If anyone could be so kind as to link me to a video, yours or anyone else's, of mounting a network drive as a folder in HFS I would be eternally grateful. Even just a short clip of the running through the add folder dialogue in HFS would be enough.

I also apologize as I am currently migrating my server's OS to a new raid array which limits my testing abilities and will take a day or two to complete as I have encountered complications with the process. I will endeavor to provide any necessary information requested of me.

Thank you for your time.

Offline bmartino1

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Unfortunately the post with me Mars and another user (turned out to be the user hard drive crashing)...

Is lost on the forum

Here is proof that hfs can and or was able to handle shared network path.

http://rejetto.com/forum/index.php?topic=10803.msg1056943#msg1056943

On NAS/PC with a shared folder, you will require a shared folder with full control over files to a single user.

On server PC that permission folder will be mapped as a network shared drive
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026635/windows-map-a-network-drive

On the servers, on hfs and drag the drive letter to the house/root of the hfs window. And add it as a real folder.

_------

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/h/hiddshar.htm

More info on hidden share/admin/ read-only shares. And windows share has another secret share of the path that also ends o. A $ ....

These share are usually system related and don't/are not usueable for true network sharing.

O don't recommend using a hidden share to map, if you want then 'c' drive shared then you will have to go to the PC and share that drive.

On regards to 3 com and other wol tools. https://sourceforge.net/projects/wake-on-lan/

3 com was an example, as they are a nice / network hardware manufacturer and often have third party tools such as pxe boot

Sorry, usually. Use a PC, but with current work, the phone is what I have, and auto correct and predicted text mess with the typing sometomes.

Again, your server PC must have a network shared folder to a disk drive.

Then you add that drive like any other folder to hfs

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qb4INX2pzsjmMT06YEIQk9Nv5jMu33tC?usp=sharing

Offline LeoNeeson

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • twitter.com/LeoNeeson
@Funtime60: I don't know how you add those drives on HFS, but I think you should try adding those network drives not using 'drag-and-drop'. Do this way: right click on the 'House' of 'Virtual File System', and click on 'Add folder from disk...' then click on 'Real folder'. To do this, the network drive should be already listed on 'My PC' first. If it's not listed there, follow the next steps to mount the network drive, reading a guide HERE.

If it's not working, please attach a screenshot of your HFS.
HFS in Spanish (HFS en Español) / How to compile HFS (Tutorial)
» Currently taking a break, until HFS v2.4 get his stable version.

Offline lexenluis

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
@Funtime60: I don't know how you add those drives on HFS, but I think you should try adding those network drives not using 'drag-and-drop'. Do this way: right click on the 'House' of 'Virtual File System', and click on 'Add folder from disk...' then click on 'Real folder'. To do this, the network drive should be already listed on 'My PC' first. If it's not listed there, follow the next steps to mount the network drive, reading a guide "Anavar".

If it's not working, please attach a screenshot of your HFS.
I also hav the above same issue, How to resolve?

Offline bmartino1

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
??? ...

What drive are you trying to add to hfs to several as a web link for file access...

A map network drive?
See windows share in above post by me or leo ...

Google drive/OneDrive?
Map the folder....

A USB/spare drive connect to PC???
Already in explorer....

_---------
Open hfs

Open windows explorer( my PC / this PC )...

Highlight the drive you wish to add to hfs

Drag the drive and drop it on the house in hfs ...
Add as real folder...