rejetto forum

archivable permission based on user

radd · 8 · 2445

Offline radd

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
would it be possible if we can set certain user to be able to download archive and other uses are not? just like restrict page?

if possible, why dont make it like restrict page. right click on any folder, select "allow archive to"> [all, list of available user, new account].

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
i made this way for easiness, less working.

can you tell me why you want to give it to one user and not to another?

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
I have always wanted this.

My main reason for setting accounts to an archive folder, is that i don't want any random on my server to just download my entire folder (hogging bandwidth without approval), i want them to just download one at a time, but i do want my family and friends to download as an archive if they feel they need to...

Offline KalleB

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
There should not be any difference in bandwidth usage between single and archive downloads...just the duration of the download. I don't see much point to make this archiving more complicated than it already is ...since the same effect can be achieved using programs like downthemall (ff extension) which can download all the files at once. Actually dta does it in more cruel way since it uses multiple connections, downloading folder.tar normally is lighter for the server.

There should only be options to restrict download and upload rights like there is now. If we're going to limit the rights to download archive, what's next...option to restrict downloading of files over 1Gb or limits by filetype?

So I'm against this option.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 09:49:34 AM by KalleB »

Offline TSG

• Operator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
    • RAWR-Designs
..just the duration of the download...

exactly, and if i stop download accelerators and limit connections, these tools cant be utilized properly, there is also other ways to prevent managers... one way is to ban the IP when i see it hogging my bandwidth.

...what's next...option to restrict downloading of files over 1Gb or limits by filetype?

Thats an awesome idea :) Can we have this rejetto ;)

What HFS really needs is a user account modification panel, so u can set all the settings for a user in one place, without having to click around on folders and files, i find that to be one of the most annoying things.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 11:21:38 AM by That_Stevens_Guy »

Offline radd

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
how should i put this.. okay, let say if someone browse my page at root folder, eventually he look at a strange button - "grab this folder". he click on the button just to try but at the same time he actually takeout my connection speed to download my whole hard disk.

it might be a practical way to only allow certain folder as archivable to prevent this problem, but actually i need this function to be enabled at root as i always not at my home and want to download any folders from my computer at home. so that i can download any folder that i want (i putt all drives under my computer in a hidden virtual folder which is restricted only for me).

waitt, what if i disable archive at the root, but enable it under that virtual folder.. im going to try this first..  just ignore what im babling here

Offline radd

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
what if i disable archive at the root, but enable it under that virtual folder..

haha.. its functioning.. eventhough i agree with TSG, i dont really care about that anymore, at least at this moment.

what im do is like this;
 1. disable archivable at root
 2. set a folder that restrict only for special group, which this group can archive anywhere they want (eg @My Computer)
 3. set archivable only for folder that u allow your client to archive (eg image)

done!

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
..just the duration of the download...

exactly,

he meant the duration of the connection.
using a downloader to get all your files individually, it will take longer than using the folder archive.

and if i stop download accelerators and limit connections, these tools cant be utilized properly, there is also other ways to prevent managers... one way is to ban the IP when i see it hogging my bandwidth.

to ban an IP is not exactly what i consider "stopping download accelerators", but it may be ok if you spend most of your day near the computer.

What HFS really needs is a user account modification panel, so u can set all the settings for a user in one place, without having to click around on folders and files, i find that to be one of the most annoying things.

it is planned for HFS 3