rejetto forum

Can connect 1 moment but not the next

Offline Tha-Flash

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I like to allow RapidShare to download from my server. I've done this successfully before through port 21.

I did have trouble at first where I had to configure my ports to let it work with FTP.

At one time, I did the self test and it didn't work so I configured my router and then self test and external downloading worked. Now no settings have been changed in the router since.

Now in my browsers I will do the self test with port 21. I type http://myexternalip:21 and it wont work, the localhost wont even work.

The message in firefox I get is:

This address is restricted.
This address uses a network port which is normally used for purposes other than Web browsing. Firefox has cancelled the request for your protection.

Please help.

Thanks

Offline MarkV

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
I guess you cannot use the port 21, it is strictly reserved for FTP. The recommended web ports are 80, 8080 or any above 1024 (the first 1024 ports are reserved for special purposes, but all above 1024 is free to use).

Firefox thinks HFS is malware, as it attempts (well, actually you) to open a HTTP connection on a port reserved for FTP (FTP is a completely different protocol).

Your solution is: Don't use port 21, but 80, 8080, or >1024.
http://worldipv6launch.org - The world is different now.

Offline Tha-Flash

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
I guess you cannot use the port 21, it is strictly reserved for FTP. The recommended web ports are 80, 8080 or any above 1024 (the first 1024 ports are reserved for special purposes, but all above 1024 is free to use).

Firefox thinks HFS is malware, as it attempts (well, actually you) to open a HTTP connection on a port reserved for FTP (FTP is a completely different protocol).

Your solution is: Don't use port 21, but 80, 8080, or >1024.
I don't understand though because I was accessing the server through port 20. It was working. I even let RapidShare download from it.

Sometimes it will just work after I mess around with some of the settings then after a while it stops and I don't change anything.

I tried 1025 and it's not working :S

Offline Foggy

• Tireless poster
    • View Profile
if you change your port to 80 or something else, you could try adding the port to the address you give to rapidshare to download from.
eg.
ftp://youraddress:port/path/to/file
im guessing that you are useing ftp in the front of your address.

Offline Tha-Flash

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
thanks for the help MarkV and Foggy.

what I realised I was doing wrong was that I couldn't connect through my external IP to test it. Others can still connect through it though lol.