rejetto forum

Author Topic: I just lost my precious template  (Read 8405 times)

Offline Killy

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Re: I just lost my precious template
« on: March 07, 2018, 02:05:10 AM »
run hfs.exe and drag-drop "my template.tpl" on the root of file

That's extremely obvious (not) :/
My complaint is that the right and safe way to use the program is the least obvious one.
That's opposite of pit of success - pit of failure. And I fell into it.

To my understanding, drag-and-drop tpl file is equal to "Change file" option in menu - just write a path to tpl into config.
If I'm in Easy mode, nothing is telling me I can ever choose the template path.
If I'm in Expert mode, using the menu is actually a more clear way. But still, the program is promoting to edit the default template.

First, this is why we ask you to do a backup.

Where? Today is probably the first day I visit this forum. I have never seen such warnings in the program itself.

That's not the software auto doing.

Too bad.
The best update sequence I've seen in other apps is when updater is making an archive of all the stuff and keeps few such archives from recent updates.
Here it would be helpful not to try to overwrite existing files at least, unless asked directly. Give a warning if files are corrupted and unusable, but give a chance for user review.
Respect user data.

auto backup available on the jfs menu.

I can only see it for vfs (in two different places. what's the difference?).

(If you saved your vfs then you can recover your template.)

Even if I drag tpl into tree and save vfs, I can't see how to do this. Vfs file size is not changing after save whatever tpl I drop into it. The only thing updated after changing template path and exit is the ini file.

Never use the program update method!

Once again, how I supposed to know this before shit happens? Why the program is asking me to urgently update (due to security risks) through what turns out to be breaking mechanism and neither making nor asking to make backups?

The update via program will leave you with a has.old, check there.

To this point, it have overwriten ~temp.vfs.bak file already. Typical issue with single backup. Numbered backups would've saved from that.

Witch is why it says in the default template to not edit this file...

Can't remember if that was in the old template back when I started to customize it.
In the new ("Macro") default template, it has VERY misleading note. Essentially it says where to go to customize special flags.

Follow members gave a thank to your post:

Thank-o-Matic 3.0 By Adk Team