rejetto forum

IP Address problem

Guest · 15 · 9695

Anonymous

For some unknown reason, I can't connect to HFS (using 1.6a) through my 192.168.xx IP Address. I was able to connect through my DSL modem IP Address and everything was working fine until I restarted my computer and my DSL wasn't working. Also, my firewall, ZoneAlarm, didn't have a Network. So, I did system restore and DSL works again. I just reinstalled HFS 1.6a and I tried my 192.168.xx IP Address but my friend can't get connected through it. So, what IP Address should I use? I'm afraid to go back to my DSL modem IP Address because I don't want to have to do system restore again. And yes, HFS has full access to ZoneAlarm.

Thanks for the help.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Anonymous

Quote from: "rejetto"
tell HFS to find the external address
How do you do that? Under Menu-IP Address, the 192.168.xx IP is what it would use.

Anonymous

Sorry for the double post but since I'm not a member, I can't edit my post. I found my external IP Address; so I should use that one for the server and my DSL won't be affected by it?

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile

Anonymous

Well, when I used HFS the first time, I got it working with my IP Address but when I turned on my computer the next day my internet wasn't working and the USB light on my DSL modem box wasn't lit. I finally fixed that problem from doing a system restore. I just don't want that to happen again, if possible, and I don't know which IP Address I should use. I tried my external IP Address yesterday but it didn't work on my friend's computer. I tried the 192.68.xx IP Address and it worked on my friend's side but I couldn't get to the link on my side. So, I'm confused on which IP and possibly which Port # I should use.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
192.168.* should be used in a LAN
external address for the internet

Anonymous

192.168.* should be used in a LAN
external address for the internet
So, I should use the external IP Address and it should work fine?

Anonymous

Ok, it works on friend's side when I use the external so I'll stick with that, but is there a reason why I can't view it on my side or is it normal? I probably don't need it to run on my side through the internet but just wondering.

Sorry for all the questions, this is my 1st time with a server. Thanks for all your help rejetto. Great program you made.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
you said 192.168.* worked for your friend
so your friend is in your LAN
to see your side, use localhost as address

Anonymous

you said 192.168.* worked for your friend
so your friend is in your LAN
to see your side, use localhost as address
Oops, yeah, I see that I did. I don't know why I said that because it's my external IP that works for my friend. So, my external IP works on my friend's side but when I go to the link it doesn't work. But I guess as long as it works for my friend's side then that's all that counts. One problem I'm having though is being unable to save my external IP Address. I have to keep loading it up everytime I start HFS and I did save my settings to my register and as a file but HFS still keeps loading the 192.168 IP. Is that a bug in the program or what? Thanks for all your help.

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Anonymous"
So, my external IP works on my friend's side but when I go to the link it doesn't work.
it is normal
One problem I'm having though is being unable to save my external IP Address.
enable find external address on startup

Anonymous

Awesome, I got it all straightened out! I had to put it in expert mode to set the find external IP on startup. Thanks again for all your help.

i use hfs on my desktop and my laptop and there is one external ip address can i get two external ip addresses?!

Offline rejetto

• Administrator
  • Tireless poster
    • View Profile
if you have the same address for both PCs, then you can use different ports to distinguish them